Facts about Union Territory
This article is all about strange, rare, unknown, amazing and interesting facts about seven Union territories of India. The article also provides details and facts about area, population, population density, sex ratio and literacy of different Union Territories of India.
7 Union Territories Map of India
Union territory is that region which is ruled directly by the central government. The administration is controlled by the President of India which appoints Lieutenant Governor to administer the territory. Union Territories don’t have their separate legislatures except for Delhi and Puducherry which enjoy their separate legislature and elected Chief Minister.
At present there are 7 union territories which are – Andaman and Niconar Islands, Chandigarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu, Delhi, Lakshdweep islands and Puducherry. The comparative data of all union territories are as follows.
7 Union Territories and their Capital
|Union Territory||Established on||Capital||Official Language|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands||1 Nov, 1956||Port Blair||Bengali, Hindi, Eng.|
|Chandigarh||1 Nov, 1966||Chandigarh||English|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli||11 Aug, 1961||Silvasa||Gujarati, Marathi|
|Daman & Diu||30 May 1987||Daman||Gujarati, Marathi|
|Delhi||1 Nov 1956||Delhi||Hindi, English|
|Lakshadweep||1 Nov 1956||Kavaratti||Malyalam, English|
|Puducherry||7 Jan 1963||Pondicherry||Tamil, Telugu, Malyalm.|
Comparative Facts about Union Territory as per 2011 census
- Among all union territories Lakshdweep is smallest in area (only 32 sq km).
- Among all union territories Andaman and Nicobar islands has maximum area (8249 sq km).
- Among all union territories Lakshdweep has minimum population of 64,429.
- Among all union territories Delhi has maximum population of 1,67,53,235.
Population Density Comparison
- Among all Union territories Andaman and Nicobar islands has least population density of 46/sq km (national average 382/sq km).
- Among all union territories Delhi has maximum population density of 11,297/sq km which is more than all states also. (National average 382/sq km)
Sex Ratio Comparison
- Among all Union territories Daman and Diu has least sex ratio of 618 females per 1000 males.
- Among all Union territories Puducherry has maximum sex ratio of 1038 females per 1000 males.
- Among all union territories Dadra and Nagar Haveli has least literacy of 77.65 %
- Among all union territories Lakshdweep is the most literate with 91.85 % literacy.
- Union territory with lowest GDP is Andaman and Nicobar Islands (all successive years from 2010-11, 11-12, 12-13,13-14).
- Union territory with highest GDP is Delhi.
Decadal Growth Comparison
- Amomg all union territories Lakshdweep has least decadal population growth of 6.2 %
- Among all union territories Dadra and Nagar Haveli has maximum decadal population growth rate of 55.5 %