Indian states with highest population
This article gives details about Indian States with highest population, Indian states with highest population density, Indian cities with highest population and population density.
India is the seventh largest country in terms of area and 2nd largest country in terms of population. As per 2011 census the population of India was 1.2 crores while the present population of India is 1.31 crores which makes this country second most populous country just followed by China. Around 17.5 % of total world’s population lives in India. The Indo-Gangetic planes which are the most fertile part of India holds maximum population. The states likes Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal comes in this gangetic plane and shares the maximum population.After this plane the eastern and western coastal areas account for second maximum population concentration.
The first Census of India was done in year 1872 under British raj. In the independent India the first census was done in year 1951. After that the census is being carried out successively after a period of 10 years. All the facts and figures regarding Indian states with highest Population are derived from the latest census of year 2011.
Indian States with highest population (in decreasing order)
|Jammu and Kashmir||1,25,48,926||2,22,236||124|
From the above table it is clear to say that Uttar Pradesh has highest population as per 2011 census. State with highest population density is Bihar with 1102 people/Sq Km.
Some Interesting Facts about Indian States with highest population
- Indian state with highest population is Uttar Pradesh.
- Indian state with lowest population is Sikkim (nearly 6 lakhs).
- Which is the most densely populated state in India – Bihar (1102/sq km).
- Indian state with lowest population density is Arunachal Pradesh (17/sq km).
- Indian state with highest population growth in last decade 2001-11 is Meghalaya. Meghalaya state recorded sharp rise of 27.8 % in its population.
- Which State has lowest population in India – Sikkim
- Indian state with lowest population growth in last decade 2001-11 is Nagaland. Infact Nagaland recorded negative population growth of -0.5 %, which means the population of Nagaland declined in last decade.
- South Indian state with highest population is Tamil Nadu.
- South Indian state with highest population density is Kerala (859/sq km).
Indian states with highest population of Rural and Urban areas
- Indian state with highest urban population is Maharashtra. Of total population of 11,23,72,972 people in Maharashtra, 5,08,27,531 people live in urban areas.
- Indian state with highest percentage of urban population is Goa. 62.1% of total Goa population lives in urban areas. In other words it can also be inferred that Goa has lowest percentage of rural population.
- Indian state with highest rural population is Uttar Prades. 15,51,11,022 people of UP among total population of 19,92,81,477 live in rural areas.
- Indian state with highest percentage of rural population is Himachal Pradesh. 89.9% of total population of Himachal Pradesh lives in rural areas. In other words it can also be inferred that Himachal Pradesh has lowest percentage of urban population.
Northeast Indian States with Highest Population
- Northeast state with highest population is Assam.
- Northeast state with least population is Sikkim. Sikkim is also the overall least populated state of India.
- Northeast state with highest population density is Assam.
- Northeast state with lowest population density is Arunachal Pradesh.
- Northeast state with highest population growth rate of last decade is Meghalaya. Meghalaya is also overall maximum population growth state of whole India.
- Northeast state with lowest population growth rate in last decade is Nagaland. Nagaland is also the least population growth state of whole India.
Top Indian Cities with highest population
|Cities||Population 2011 census||Population 2001 census||Decadal Growth %|
Some Facts about Population of Indian Cities
- Indian city with highest population (2011 census) is Mumbai.
- Indian city with highest decadal population growth rate is Vishakhapatnam.
- Indian city with lowest decal population growth rate is Kolkata. In Kolkata the population declined actually in 2011 as compared to year 2001.
- Top three highest populous cities of Maharashtra are Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur.
- Top two populous cities of Uttar Pradesh are Lucknow and Kanpur.
- Top three highest populous cities of South india are Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai.