Interesting Facts about Haryana
This article is all about historical, geographical, social, religious, cultural, amazing, rare, unknown interesting facts about Haryana.
Quick Basic Facts about Haryana
- Capital – Chandigarh
- Official Language – Hindi,
- Population – 2.54 Crores (as per 2011 Census)
- Population Rank – 17th
- Area – 44,212 Sq Km
- Area Rank – 20th
- Sex Ratio – 879 females per 1000 male
- Sex Ratio Rank – 29th
- Literacy Rate – 75.5 %
- No. of Districts – 21
- Assembly Seats – 90 (Unicameral)
- Lok Sabha Seats – 10
- Rajya Sabha seats – 5
- Established – 1 Nov 1966
- First Chief Minister – Bhagwat Dayal Sharma
- First Governor – Dharma Vira
- Highest peak- Karoh peak, 1499 m
State Symbols of Haryana
- State Tree – Peepal (Scientific Name – Ficus Religiosa)
- State Flower – Lotus (Nelumbo Nucifera)
- State Animal – Blackbuck
- State Bird – Black Francolin
Geographical Facts about Haryana
- The state shares its borders with 4 other states – Uttar Pradesh in east, Rajasthan in southwest, Punjab in northwest and Himachal Pradesh in north. The river Yamuna marks its eastern border with Uttar Pradesh. It surrounds nation’s capital Delhi from three sides.
- The only river which flows through this state is Ghaggar.
- Bhivani district of Haryana is largest by area. Faridabad is largest by population.
- The highest peak of the state is Karoh peak which comes in Morni hill range. The altitude of this peak is 1,499m.
- Haryana is the first state in India to have 100 % rural electrification.
Historical Facts about Haryana
- Several historic battles were fought on this land including the epic battle of Mahabharat at Kurukhshetra and the three famous wars of Panipat.
- Haryana was home land to the ancient Indus valley and Vedic civilizations.
- Delhi was established by Rajput “Tomar Clan” on this land of Haryana. After the defeat of Prithvi Raj Chauhan in second war of Tarain in 1192, the Delhi Sultanate came under influence of Muslim rulers.
- Hemu captured the Delhi Sultanate for short while when he defeated Akbar in battle of Delhi in 1556. Just after few months in the second battle of Panipat Hemu was defeated by Akbar and Delhi Sultanate came in Mughal hands.
- Haryana state was formed on 1 Nov 1966 by separating it out from Punjab. Himachal Pradesh was also at the same time separated out from Punjab and became a new state.
Social and Cultural Facts about Haryana
- Haryana has literacy rate of 75.5 % which is more than India’s average literacy rate of 74.04 %. Haryana stands at 15th rank among Indian states in terms of education.
- Famous Yoga guru “Baba Ramdev” belongs to “Mahendragarh” of Haryana state.
- Jhumar, Ras Leela, Phag Dance, Daph, Dhamal, Khoria are the famous folk dances of Haryana.
- Haryana has the poorest Sex Ratio among all Indian States.
- Surajkund is internationally famous for its Crafts mela which is held from 1st to 15th February every year.
- Brahma Sarovar of Thanesar (Kurukshetra district) is considered of great religious importance as per Hindu beliefs. It is also a famous religious tourist spot of Haryana.
Economic Facts about Haryana
- Agriculture is the leading occupation and the land is mostly irrigated by submersible pumps and canal system. This state contributed heavily towards the green revolution and made nation self sufficient in food crops production in 1960s.
- Main Agricultural Products of Haryana – Rice, wheat, maize, bajra, cotton, sugarcane, barley, potato and pulses.
- Mineral Resources of Haryana – Limestone, slate, dolomite, china clay, graphite and quartz.
- Haryana is the largest exporter of Basmati rice.
- Haryana is one of the most economically developed regions of South Asia.
- Haryana is India’s largest manufacturer of passenger car’s, motorcycles, bicycle, refrigerator, scientific instruments and tractors.
- Haryana is the first state which has electrified all of its villages.
- A Factory of Hindustan Machine Tools produces Tractors at Pinjore.
- India’s largest Real Estate company DLF limited is based in Gurgaon, Haryana.
Famous Persons from Haryana
- Dalbir Singh Suhag – the earlier Army Chief was born in Jhajjar district.
- Juhi Chawla, Om Puri and Parineeti Chopra are famous Bollywood actors who worked in various hindi movies. They are all born in Ambala.
- Mallika sherawat, Randeep Hudda are popular hindi film actors who were born in Rohtak.
- Pandit Jasraj who is a famous classical singer belongs to Hissar district of Haryana.
- Sonu Nigam – is popular playback singer of hindi film industry was born in Faridabad.
- Baba Ramdev – the famous yog guru was born in Mahendragarh.
- Famous sportsperson like Kapil Dev (Chandigarh), Saina Nehwal (Dhindar), Vijender Singh (Bhivani) belong to Haryana.