Interesting Facts about Madhya Pradesh
This article is all about historical, geographical, social, religious, cultural, amazing, rare, unknown interesting facts about Madhya Pradesh (MP).
Quick Basic Facts about Madhya Pradesh (MP)
- Capital – Bhopal
- Official Language – Hindi
- Area – 3,08,346 Sq Km
- Area Rank – Second
- Population – 7,25,97,565
- Population Rank – 5th
- Sex Ratio – 931 females per 1000 male
- Literacy Rate – 69.3 %
- No of Districts – 51
- Assembly seats – 230
- Lok Sabha seats – 29
- Rajya sabha seats – 11
- Created on – Nov 1, 1956
- First Chief Minister – Ravishankar Shukla
- First Governor – Dr. Pattabhi Sitaramayya
- Highest Peak – Dhupgarh
State Symbols of Madhya Pradesh
Historical Facts about Madhya Pradesh
- Madhya Bharat state was created in 1950 by merging the British Central Province, Berar, Princely states of Makrai and chhattisgarh. Nagpur was declared the capital of this state. Along with Madya Bharat, Vindhya Pradesh and Bhopal states were also created. In 1956 the Madhya Bharat, Vindhya Pradesh and Bhopal were merged and a new name of Madhya Pradesh was given. Capital of Madhya Pradesh was shifted from Nagpur to Bhopal. Nagpur region which was marathi dominated area was merged with Bombay state.
- Bhimbetka rock paintings which are located in Raisen district of MP are more than 30,000 years old. This is a World Heritage Site. The literal meaning of Bhimbetka(bhim baithka) means “sitting place of Bhim”.
Geographical Facts about Madhya Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh is the second largest by area and 5th by population.
- It borders 5 states – Uttaar Pradesh in north east, Chhattisgarh in south east, Maharashtra in south, Gujarat in west and Rajasthan in north west.
- Highest peak of MP is Dhupgarh (Satpura rage) with an altitude of 1,350 m.
- The main rivers of MP are Chambal, Betwa, Sindh, Narmada, Tapti, Mahanadi and Indravati.
- The highcourt of MP is located in Jabalpur, with two benches at Gwalior and Indore.
- Bhedaghat which is close to Jabalpur city is well known for Dhuadhar falls and world famous marble rock mountains on the banks of river narmada.
- Indore district of Madhya Pradesh is largest by population.
- Kanha National park which is also a tiger reserve is the largest National Park of MP. The famous novel Jungle book by “Rudyard Kipling” draws its inspiration from the forests of Kanha National Park.
- Karera Bird Sanctuary in Shivpuri district is famous for Great Indian Bustard (Son Chidiya).
Social and Cultural Facts about Madhya Pradesh
- Ujjain is one of the four places where Kumbh mela is organised in every 12 years. It is situated on the banks of Kshipra river. The other 3 places are Nashik, Allahabad and Haridwar.
- Sanchi is famous for its Buddhist monuments.
- 2 out of 12 Jyotirlings of Shiva are located in Madhya Pradesh. These are – Omkareshwar and Mahakaleshwar of Ujjain.
- Kanha national park near Jabalpur is one of the most beautiful wild life sanctuaries.
- Khajuraho once the capital of Chandel rulers was the epitome of great artistic activity between 9th and 12th centuries. Kandariya Mahadev and Dulhadeo Temple of Khajuraho are the famous architectural majesty of Chandel rulers in Medieval period. Khajuraho temples which are famous for its erotic sculptures are visited by tourists from all over the world.
- Madhya Pradesh has largest strength of tribals among Indian States. The main tribal groups are Gond, Bhil, Baiga, Korku, Bhadia , Kaul, Malto and Sahariya. Dhar, Jhabua and Mandla districts have more than 50 percent tribal population.Popular Folk dances are – Matki, Gangaur, Badhai, Baredi, Naurata and Bhagoria.
Economic Facts about Madhya Pradesh
- The major industries of MP are BHEL at Bhopal, Security paper mills at Hoshangabad, Bank Note Press at Dewas, Newsprint mill at Nepanagar and Alkaloid factory at Neemuch.
- Panna is the most famous diamond mine of Madhya Pradesh and India.
- Balaghat is famous for Bauxite, Copper and Dolomite.
- Betul and Chhatarpur are famous for fire clay, China clay and Coal reserves.
Famous persons of Madhya Pradesh
- Chandra Shekhar Azad – was the eminent freedom fighter who was born in present Alirajpur district of Madhya Pradesh. His actual name was Chandra Shekhar Tiwari. Azad was adopted surname.
- Kailash Satyarthi – who is a famous children rights activist won the Noble Peace Prize in sharing with Malala Yousufzai of Pakistan. He was born in Vidisha of MP.
- Makhanlal Chaturvedi – was the eminent person who contributed in Hindi Literature. He was conferred with first Sahitya Akadmi Award in year 1955. He was born in Hoshangabad district.
- Sharad Joshi – was the famous Hindi poet, writer and essayist and scriptwriter. The serial Laptaganj which aired on Sab TV is based on his stories.
- Arjun Rampal – the hindi movie actor was born in Jabalpur in year 1972.
- Kishore Kumar – the famous legendry actor and playback singer of hindi films was born in Khandwa district of Madhya Pradesh.
- Lata Mangeshkar – the popular playback singer and Bharat Ratna Award winner was born in Indore of Madhya Pradesh.
- Johny Walker – whose actual name was Badruddin Jamaluddin Kazi worked as comedian in hindi films was born in Indore.
- Jaya Bachhan (Bhaduri) – the popular former actress and present member of parliament was born in Jabalpur of Madhya Pradesh.
- Mansoor ali Khan Pataudi, Amay Khurasia, Narendra Hirwani are the famous cricketers who are related to Madhya Pradesh.