List of Home Ministers of India, Facts and Information
This article provides list of home ministers of India, all interesting, amazing, (GK) General Knowledge related information and facts about home ministers of India. This article is also meant for information and facts about home ministers of India from different political parties of all 16 lok sabha cabinets so far.
Home minister is the hierarchical head of Ministry of Home Affairs. Home minister is the most important and top most post among all cabinet ministers. In terms of authority power and responsibility, the position of home minister comes second in number just after Prime Minister of India. Home minister looks after the internal security of the country. Police forces along with a number of government intelligence agencies work under ministry of home affairs. There are seven numbers internal security forces which under home minister. These forces are – Border Security Force (BSF), Rapid Action Forces (RAF), Central Industries Security Forces (CISF), Central Reserve Police Forces (CRPF), Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), National Security Guards (NSG).
Some important intelligence agencies which works under association of Ministry of Home Affairs is National Investigative Agency (NIA), Central Finger Print Bureau (CFPB), Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Intelligence Bureau (IB), Research and analysis Wing (RAW).
Interesting Facts about Home Ministers of India
- First home minister of free India was Vallabh Bhai Patel. He also served as deputy Prime Minister of India (tenure – 02.09.1946 to 15.12.1950). The first cabinet which was derived from constituent assembly nominated him as the home minister. He worked under prime ministership of Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Vallabhbhai Patel was also the first home minister who also worked as Deputy Prime Minister of India. In all there were four home ministers of India who also worked as Deputy Prime Ministers. These are Vallabhbhai Patel, Charan Singh, Yashwantrao Chavan and Lal Krishna Advani.
- Vallabhbhai Patel was not able to complete his tenure. He died because of heart attack.
- Vallabhbhai patel was the only home minister of India who died in chair and was not able to complete his tenure.
- First and only woman Home minister of India was Indira Gandhi. She served as home minister of India from 27 June 1970 to 4 Feb 1973. She hold the post of home minister while working as Prime Minister of India.
- First home minister of India who didn’t belong to congress party was Charan Singh. He served as home minister of India in 6th Lok Sabha under Prime Ministership of Morarji Desai. His tenure was from from 24 March 1977 to 1 July 1978. He belonged to Janta Party. In this tenure, he also held the posts of deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister simultaneously.
- After Charan Singh, there were only two persons who worked both as Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister. These were Yashwant Rao Chavan and L K Advani in 6th and 13th Lok Sabha respectively.
- After Indira Gandhi, Morarji Desai was the second person to keep the Home ministry with him along while working as Prime minister. Morarji Desai worked as home minister from 1 july 1978 to 28 July 1979 while working along as Prime Minister. Other Prime Ministers who kept the portfolio of home minister with them briefly were Chandrashekhar and H D Deve Gowda.
- In all list of home ministers of India, there were two home ministers who later became President of India. These two home ministers were Giani Zail Singh and R. Venkatraman. Both of them worked under prime ministership of Indira Gandhi in 7th Lok Sabha.
- Shortest serving home minister of India was Murli Manohar Joshi. He worked as home minister for just 16 days under Prime ministership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 11th Lok Sabha. This government couldn’t managed majority and lasted for 16 days only.
- In all list of home ministers of India, Longest serving (working) home minister of India was Lal Krishna Advani from 19.03.1998 to 22.05.2004 during 12th and 13th Lok Sabha.
List of Home Ministers of India (State level)
- There were only four Home ministers of state level so far (since Indian independence and government formation). These four state level home ministers are
- i) Subodh Kant Sahay during 9th Lok Sabha under Prime ministership of V P Singh
- ii) Shriprakash Jaiswal during 15th lok sabha under Prime ministership of Manmohan Singh (2nd term)
- iii) RPN Singh during 15th lok sabha under 2nd term of Manmohan Singh and
- iv) Kiren Rijiju (incumbent) during 16th lok sabha under prime ministership of Narendra Modi.
List of all Home Ministers of India
|Name||From||To||Party||Lok Sabha||Prime Minister|
|Vallabhbhai Patel||02.09.1946||15.12.1950||INC||...||J L Nehru|
|C Rajgopalachari||26.12.1950||25.10.1951||INC||...||J L Nehru|
|Kailash Nath Katju||1951||1955||INC||1st||J L Nehru|
|Govind Ballabh Pant||10.01.1955||07.03.1961||INC||1st, 2nd||J L Nehru|
|Lalbahadur Shastri||04.04.1961||29.08.1963||INC||2nd, 3rd||J L Nehru|
|29.08.1963||14.11.1966||INC||3rd||J L Nehru, L B Shastri, Indira Gandhi|
|Yashwantrao Chavan||14.11.1966||27.06.1970||INC||3rd, 4th||Indira Gandhi|
|Indira Gandhi||27.06.1970||04.02.1973||INC||4th, 5th||Indira Gandhi|
|Uma Shankar Dikshit||04.02.1973||1974||INC||5th||Indira Gandhi|
|Kasu S Reddy||1974||24.03.1977||INC||5th||Indira Gandhi|
|Charan Singh||24.03.1977||01.08.1978||Janta Party||6th||Morarji Desai|
|Morarji Desai||01.07.1978||28.07.1979||Janta Party||6th||Morarji Desai|
|Yashwantrao Chavan||28.07.1979||14.01.1980||Janta Party (S)||6th||Charan Singh|
|Giani Jail Singh||14.01.1980||22.06.1982||INC||7th||Indira Gandhi|
|R Venkatraman||22.06.1982||02.09.1982||INC||7th||Indira Gandhi|
|Prakash Chandra Sethi||02.09.1982||19.07.1984||INC||7th||Indira Gandhi|
|P V Narsimha Rao||19.07.1984||31.12.1984||INC||7th||Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi|
|Shankarrao Chavan||31.12.1984||12.03.1986||INC||7th||Rajiv Gandhi|
|P V Narsimha Rao||12.03.1986||12.05.1986||INC||8th||Rajiv Gandhi|
|Buta Singh||12.05.1986||02.12.1989||INC||8th||Rajiv Gandhi|
|Mufti Md Sayeed||1989||10.11.1990||Janta Dal (NF)||9th||V P Singh|
|Chandra Shekhar||10.11.1990||21.06.1991||SP (NF)||9th||Chandra Shekhar|
|Shankarrao Chavan||21.06.1991||16.05.1996||INC||10th||P V Narsimha Rao|
|M M Joshi||16.05.1996||01.06.1996||BJP||11th||A B Vajpayee|
|H D Deve Gowda||01.06.1996||29.06.1996||JD (United Front)||11th||H D Deve Gowda|
|Indrajit Gupta||29.06.1996||19.03.1998||CPI (United Front)||11th||HD Deve Gowda, I K Gujral|
|L K Advani||19.03.1998||22.05.2004||BJP (NDA)||12th, 13th||A B Vajpayee|
|Shivraj Patil||22.05.2004||30.11.2008||INC (UPA)||14th||Manmohan Singh|
|P Chidambaram||30.11.2008||31.07.2012||INC (UPA)||14th, 15th||Manmohan Singh|
|Sushilkumar Shinde||31.07.2012||26.05.2014||INC (UPA)||15th||Manmohan Singh|
|Rajnath Singh||26.05.2014||working||BJP (NDA)||16th||Narendra Modi|